Homemade Tomato Sauce
- 4 medium vine-ripened tomatoes
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- a few shakes of dehydrated minced onion
- generous helping of whatever herb you have on hand (all I had was dried parsley for now)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove, peel, and chop to your heart's desire. Place tomatoes in slow cooker.
- Add tomato paste, garlic, onion, herbs, salt, and pepper. Stir.
- If, like me, you want a less chunky sauce, stick your immersion blender in there and puree. I blended until there were just a few tomato chunks left.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
UPDATE: Great success! The sauce was sweet but not too sweet, and had a nice kick from the garlic. The only negative was that it came out a bit watery -- next time, strain the tomatoes after chopping & before adding to the pot.
Gnocchi (from frozen) with Homemade Tomato Sauce, Freshly Grated Parmesan & Romano Cheese