Today is a rainy Sunday. Not the downpour kind, but a gentle mist that has persisted throughout the late morning and afternoon. I love these kinds of days...the rain is soothing, it puts me in the mood to drink that extra cup of coffee, and it [usually] puts me in the mood to cook. And that I did.
Admittedly, this is not the most exciting dish to blog about. Pasta salad, macaroni salad, whatever you call it -- a routine summer staple. Still, it's one of my favorite things to eat, and I have never made it from scratch. I had fun making this today as I sort of made it up as I went along and it turned out delicious. So, blog-worthy to me!
Sunday Pasta Salad
dressing adapted from Taste of Home's recipe
- 2 cups uncooked pasta -- I used mini penne
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 1 small-to-medium tomato, diced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- about half of a 16 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- Optional: 1/2 cup cooked chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup prepared ranch dressing (eyeball it)
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried minced onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp prepared Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sweet relish
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- While the pasta is cooking, mix together dressing ingredients and let sit.
- Toss together the salad ingredients, and add the dressing. Mix well.
Salad ingredients ready to be tossed. Not pictured: eggs which I added after this picture was taken, and the chicken, which I decided to add at the last minute after everything was mixed together. The chicken was left-over from a stir-fry Paul made a couple nights ago, and I didn't want it to go to waste. I labeled the chicken as "optional" in the recipe because I added it in order to make it more of a meal (I had not yet eaten lunch and was getting hungrier and hungrier as I was preparing it!). Personally, if this is just a side dish, I'd leave the chicken out. But it's up to you!
Yummy side-dish or, in my case today, a light lunch.
Hope you're enjoying your Sunday, rain or shine.