Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lord, I was born a ramblin' (wo)man...

Sadly, there has not been much to blog about lately.  Life events, busy schedules, getting home late... keeps me from doing what I enjoy in the kitchen!  The only things I have really "cooked" lately were some box-mix and frosting-from-the-can (cringe) cupcakes to bring to work last week, and some mac & cheese last night that I spruced up with ground pork and red bell peppers. Otherwise, Paul and I have made close friends with the Wendy's drive-thru. I gotta say though, their Pick-2 deal is pretty sweet. I get a half-size chicken pecan salad - their healthiest salad with mixed greens, grilled chicken, apples, pecans, dried cranberries, and low-fat pomegranate vinaigrette - and a baked potato. Proof that fast food doesn't have to kill your diet! And even though I haven't been able to dedicate much time to my kitchen, I have been dedicated to fitting in some exercise when I can. Working out for 15-30 min., 3-4 times a week makes a world of difference for my energy level and overall mental/physical/emotional well-being.  I can now jog non-stop (no walking breaks) for 20 minutes! Haven't been able to do that in about 5 years! I am becoming familiar again, though, with the shin splints that plagued me during my high school track team years. Need better running shoes. ...This is the most rambling post ever.

Anywho, I am determined to make time this weekend to whip up some good quality home cookin'.  We attempted to go apple-picking last weekend, but all the good ones had been picked over and the only ones remaining were hail-damaged.  We are going again this weekend, so hopefully I will come home with a bushel of apples and can whip up all sorts of apple-related dishes.  *Fingers crossed!*

We did, however, enjoy Milburn Orchards' market shop and pumpkin "patch".  It wasn't pick-your-own, but we picked up a cute lil' pumpkin which is now on our front stoop.  We got some of their fresh apple cider, homemade apple butter, and fresh apple cider donuts.  Holy crap, those donuts were good. We also got some romaine lettuce, snow peas, and of course some gummy bears for Paul.







Cheers,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment